1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil
or parchment paper.
2. Place potatoes in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Place into oven and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Let cool before peeling.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Drain excess fat; transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
4. Melt butter in the skillet. Add garlic and sage, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat; keep warm.
5. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes until smooth. Stir in maple syrup and 6 tablespoons reserved butter mixture; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
6. Serve immediately with remaining butter mixture and bacon.