According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, more than one-third of U.S. adults are considered obese, and many of them live in the South. This can be attributed to southern cooking and a sedentary lifestyle. We can see this every day in our community. There is a vast amount of fast food and buffet restaurants which offer an abundance of food full of fat, cholesterol, and sodium. This type of food creates weight gain, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.
To maintain a healthy weight and reach optimum health, proper nutrition must be paired with exercise. Experts agree that adults need a minimum of 30-60 minutes of cardiovascular exercise each day. Many people are getting much less than that. By eating properly and following an exercise program, individuals will experience the benefits of a healthy lifestyle which includes but is not limited to; maintaining a healthy weight, improved mood, and lower blood pressure.
Here are some ideas to help get your body moving:
- Visit a local park. http://www.floridastateparks.org/ has a list of all Florida state parks. Many of them have hiking and biking trails as well as kayak and canoeing available. This is a great way to get outdoors and spend time with your family.
- Join a gym. Take advantage of the amenities offered at your local gym such as swimming pool, sauna, fitness classes, and personal training.
- Sign up for health and wellness classes. Many organizations offer free or low cost programs that provide education related to healthy living. Utilize the information provided to make positive changes in your life.
- Create an exercise group. Start a group in your neighborhood, at church, or with co-workers. Commit to walking, biking, or jogging together a few days a week. Being part of a group will help keep you accountable.
- Have fun! Exercise is not a chore and should be fun. It is a great way to rev up your metabolism and provide you energy throughout the day. Put on some upbeat music and dance in your living room! Whatever you choose to do for exercise, get started today to experience immediate benefits.